Tuesday, September 14, 2010

An auspicious frolic and flossing the mucous

the Further Adventures of Trashy Drifter

Chapter 39

An Auspicious Frolic and Flossing the Mucous

It’s been a great day. I’m just finishing a glass of wine after a fantastic dinner with delighted guests from
all over the world swapping tales and photographs of the day’s exploits.

Just before lunch, I led two English families on a kayak exploration. After we watched Lenore and Peanut
make a well timed entry and exit, we headed to the river where we witnessed a mighty wrestling match.
Two young grizzlies, possibly siblings were play-fighting and wrestling in the river. They were illuminated
by brilliant sunshine dancing on the waters around them as they rolled and pawed and playfully swatted
each other with those mighty limbs. They would splash around in the water for a bit, then galumph
about on the shore, then back into the river.

We clung to the grass on the other side of the river and watched in delight and amazement as they
frolicked and cavorted like a couple of frisky puppies. It is a good sign that things are going well. The
salmon numbers are good. Bellies are full and spirits are high in the bear world. Just yesterday, I
witnessed a young female catch 12 salmon and eat them in the course of an hour. The resonant sound
of a crunching pop echoed through the woods as she crushed the fish’s skulls and slurped out their
brains. Then just a few hours later I got my first glimpse of Bruno and another big male rubbing on trees
and rubbing stomp trails further up the river at the DFO shack. That’s a sight to see, indeed.

So, I may not know much about much, but with my own eyes I am seeing and hearing the flapping and
splashing of hundreds of fish making their way upstream. I am seeing dozens of eagles a day and was
nearly plastered with eagle poop just yesterday. There is a sense of excitement and ecstasy in the air
that is tangible. Today’s frolic was just one of many examples.

But, not all of my time is spent swimming in crystal streams and witnessing the awesome majesty of
nature. At times, I get saddled with some onerous and lowly tasks, one of which I call, “flossing the
mucous”.

The lodge is webbed by a lot of pipes and tubes and hoses, which carry various things, such as gas,
power and sewage. These pipes are submerged in the water and are prone to algae infestation. So they
look like slimy underwater tentacles. Every so often, someone needs to clean the reeking algae off.
Every so often, like every time! That person is me! So, you get in a boat, or lean precariously over and
wrap a rope around the pipe. Then, you pull the rope back and forth and drag it along the length of the
pipe, sending globs of sticking stinking algae flying here and there and right into your face. Awesome!

That’s all I’ve got for now, stay tuned for my next instalment, ‘Imperial Residue’ Cheerio!

No comments:

Post a Comment