Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Blow Ye Winds Heigh – Ho!

the Further Adventures of TrashyDrifter

Chapter 43

Blow Ye Winds Heigh – Ho!

 

The wintry winds have arrived and are pounding us with icy rolling waves. Guests had to be flown in and out on helicopters as it was too windy for the float planes for several days. Its finally calmed down, but the world is now greyer and darker than before. The lodge is putting itself to sleep for the winter. Every few hours, something else goes into storage. Flags  flutter down from the poles, kayaks slide away, boats get flipped over, Adirondack chairs stacked and stowed, fireplaces snuffed out. One by one, my fellow guides are getting onto planes, waving goodbye and leaving forever. Jasmine has slipped off to her mountain abode, Jamie, Moira and Lord Denby are headed for the Bahamas next week. It’s the final lap of an epic marathon, just one more sleep and I’ll be home for good.
There’s a bittersweet feeling to all seasonal work. It’s a good thing I think; it keeps you from stagnating and lets you change with the seasons, which is only natural. I have always found and kept great friends from past seasons of similar work. There’s a sense that you might as well get along and live life how you want to, as everything has a limit and an expiration date. Like leaves on a tree, we bud, flourish, wither and fall off to be blown hither thither and yon by the wild winds of fortune. Wow, that’s a maudlin sentiment.
So, the majority of our visitors are grandparents and septuagenarians, sprinkled with a smattering of newlyweds and a dash of families. But sporadically we get single female visitors of marrying age. Sometimes these visitors, seem to be somewhat interested in nocturnal companionship, only to find that all the male staff at the lodge are either feeble geezers or married, like me, or engaged like all the other guys, even the infamously immoral Kemshaw. I think it’s a terrible thing to see someone’s vacation romance hopes dashed. That’s why I propose that the lodge hire a dock gigolo, just to see that we can meet all the needs of all our guests. If you know of anyone who likes to snuggle touristas, send them this way.
In closing; thanks for reading my friends. It’s been good for me to write down my reflections and impressions before they slipped away. And I’m glad to have had an ardent and illustrious readership, whose words of encouragement have spurred me on to excessive verbiage. I certainly hope the horizon holds further, further adventures, and if you want me to, I’ll write them down.
 Cheers.


No comments:

Post a Comment